Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Idiyaappam / Rice Noodles

One of my favorite dishes is Idiyaappam. My mom makes good sEvai/ santhakai. I love them a lot.. with both sugar coconut and tomato flavored. Since I dont have that santhakai stand., I started making idiyaappam with my murukku presser. Since the beginning I liked it a lot like my mom's santhakai.
People think that it is really a hard task to use presser to prepare noodles.. It is all depending upon the wright consistency of the mixture we use.

Ingredients:

Serves 3-4 persons.
Rice Flour - 4 cups
Water - 2 cups (May need more)
Salt - 2 pinch

Preparation:

  • Boil water. 
  • Sprinkle salt to the rice flour in a mixing bowl and mix.

  • Pour hot water one scoop at a time into the rice flour. Use a wooden spatula to mix water and make a fine soft dough. When hot water is poured into the flour, the heat partly cooks the flour.

  • When it is ok to handle, mix with your hand and the batter feels slightly sticky.


  • Using a murukku presses or a noodles maker, press it in small rounds in each idli dip of the idli plates.

  • Steam cook the noodles, just for 5 minutes.

  • Remove it from the plates and serve hot with kurma, coconut milk, or coconut chutney.



No comments:

Post a Comment